Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Ice Cream Cake

         
Ice Cream Cake
 

               March 2nd was my husband's 48 birthday, and being a DIYer, I wanted to make him a birthday cake from scratch. But I wanted it to be different so, I thought, why not go all the way different, and combine two birthday favorites; ice cream and cake in one?

           I bake only on special occasions because experience taught me that eating baked goods will result in much weight gain. So, when I do, I go all-out. Because after all, life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured, right? Besides, it will be a good two and  half months before the next cake-making, so plenty of time to lose the excess calories.


          And so, I went online to find the right Chocolate cake recipe, and I found Hershey's website. When I found the one recipe I liked, it was exactly my all-time favorite moist chocolate cake recipe cut out from a 1980's women's magazine by, guess who? Hershey's. It's my secret weapon, really,  whenever a special chocolate recipe is needed. I've made it so many times over the last 20 years, it's still my trusty old moist chocolate cake.


Hershey's Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

2 c sugar
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 3/4 c All purpose Flour
1 12 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup hot water

Procedure:
1. Sift together dry ingredients, mix well. Add eggs, oil. vanilla and milk. Add boiling water and stir. Mixture will be runny. Pour into a round pan lined with foil or sprayed with a nonstick spray and pop into oven 35-40 minutes 375F. Cool completely, and  slice into two rounds.

To assemble ICE CREAM CAKE you will need:
Ice Cream cake ingredients


1 tub chocolate ice cream, any brand, softened,divided
1 small package tiny marshmallows, divided
1 bar white chocolate, 150 g. any brand
1 bar dark chocolate, 150 g. any brand
 moist chocolate cake, cut into two parts

Directions:



1. Line a spring form pan or ordinary cake pan with foil or cling film, leaving enough lengths with which to pull the ice cream cake out.




2. Place 1st layer of cake and spread 1/2 of the softened ice cream, making sure ice cream gets to the sides, sprinkle with marshmallows. Pop in freezer until almost solid.



3. Carefully place the other cake layer on top and spread remaining ice cream, making sure to spread to the edges. Sprinkle with the remaining marshmallows. And freeze again.




4. Break dark chocolate into pieces and place inside a saucepan set on top of a pot with boiling water over a stove. Stir with dry spoon until melted and smooth. ( Do not let any liquid get into the melted chocolate or it will seize.



5. Spoon or drizzle over hot melted chocolate over the cake. Melt the white chocolate using the same procedure, but making sure the saucepan is washed, and wiped clean and dry. Drizzle over cake. Freeze once more.



6. Using the overlapping edges of the cling film or foil, lift the entire ice cream cake out of the pan. ( unless you were using a spring form pan )




7. Place on a tray and serve sliced on individual plates with whipped cream or as is.


Note: If pressed for time, simply buy your favorite sponge cake, slice into halves and proceed as directed. You may also add crushed nuts and or Oreo cookie pieces for more oomph.

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did. I posted the pictures on my Facebook page in March, and friends liked it a lot. I also promised to someday give a tutorial, so today is that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment