Wednesday, May 22, 2013

HOMEMADE HEALTHY CHICKEN NUGGETS

             " Pasalubong!" My 10 year old called after me, when I went out this afternoon. I don't know if there exists an English word equivalent for pasalubong, but it simply means a treat for the loved ones who stayed behind, while one goes out.  


             When I got home at 4 pm,  my tiny shopping bag was immediately inspected whether it held a treat. Before Arianne could protest, I told her I didn't buy her a treat, because I was going to MAKE her an even better treat: CHICKEN NUGGETS.



             Why this is a treat, let me explain. The last time I brought the kids to McDonald's was in March. We had been loyal customers since the older kids were in preschool, and visited a branch at least once a week. for 15 or so years. So, you will understand that this is one mighty hard habit to break even for the mom!

        
             I  guess the easiest way to  eliminate a bad habit is to replace it with a good one, so I went on a recipe hunting expedition to find a healthier version of chicken nuggets and chicken fillet. I also found graphic resources that allowed them to decide for themselves to choose healthy ( much to my delight, of course!)

             That was why it wasn't at all hard to convince the kids to go healthy and natural. It's been two months and along with the loss of interest in fast food, they don't seem to miss sodas, too.

             Here's a recipe I tweaked a little:


HOMEMADE HEALTHY CHICKEN NUGGETS
healthy chicken nuggets

INGREDIENTS:

500 g. ground chicken meat or meat of 2 chicken breasts, sliced thinly

            ( free range, organic or non-GMO)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chicken powder or liquid seasoning
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup rolled oats, uncooked
1-2 tsp salt ( according to your taste )
3/4 cup bread crumbs or Panko, crush slightly for finer grains

PROCEDURE:

1. In a bowl, combine chicken meat and next 5 ingredients and mash well with hands.

2. Put bowl in freezer for about 5-7 minutes for easier handling.

3. To form, divide into 18 balls, roll in breadcrumbs, pressing, to evenly coat all around and form into rectangles or fun shapes by hand.


4. Arrange on a tray or pan and freeze. Pack in portions inside freezer bags. This will keep up to three months frozen.

5. To cook: fry or bake on pan sprayed with non-stick spray for 10 minutes, turn to brown other side for another 10 minutes or until brown 375F. Drain on paper towels.



6. Serve hot with tomato ketchup. Makes 18 nuggets.

Note: for toddlers and elderly people, make this even lighter, by omitting salt and adding dried herbs of your choice. Bake or cook in a toaster oven instead of frying.


           As always, taste as you go. Tweak the recipe according to your preferences. Great day!

           <br>

No comments:

Post a Comment