Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Maruya ( Fried Battered Bananas) two ways

        I just found out I have the hives. This means I cannot go out into the sun to watch the Kadayawan festival without expecting to scratch my skin off my entire body. But, I will still go to the malls and cover what I can among the many activities lined up, so you can "see" them with me.

        I am still waiting for the results for the Sayaw Mindanao last night. But here's the Kadayawan official schedule of activities:


        Saba bananas are the most popular cooking bananas in my country. It is used as dessert, sweet, snack and as vegetable. I also happen to have tasted it as jam. If you're wondering what it looks like, here it is:
Saba bananas
        Today, we will be making the ubiquitous Maruya snack. It's a common sight in the afternoon in any neighborhood. Freshly fried, hot and delicious.
Maruya
Let's make Maruya!

INGREDIENTS:
7 pieces Saba Bananas siced lengthwise into haves or into fans ( two ways )
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
cooking oil for frying
brown or white sugar for sprinkling

PROCEDURE:
Bananas sliced into fans, you can slice them into 5 or 6, too

1. Mix all the dry ingredients. Add the rest of the ingredients except the bananas. Blend  until the batter is smooth.

2 Heat oil in a deep pan. Dip each banana half or fans into the batter, coating thoroughly.

3. Deep fry until golden. Drain and sprinkle granulated sugar before serving. Serve hot.
A big batch of Maruya for snacks

NOTE: This is a common street snack and usually available at your friendly neighborhood stalls. some people prefer to sweeten the batter as well, you may opt to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment