Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Maja Blanca ( Coconut custard dessert )

        Happy to post the lineup of contestants for the Hiyas ng Kadayawan or "Bya'Neng". Tomorrow, August 15, 2013 will be the coronation night. Yesterday, they showcased their know how of their own cultures through dances, songs, playing their native instruments and making fire from two stones, and cooking dishes using the bamboo as cooking receptacle! Talk about indigenous talent! These girls were handpicked by their tribes to represent them in the contest. Here they are in their native costumes:
Official candidates to the Hiyas ng Kadayawan

        Another thing that caught my eye via Facebook is a pretty Russian girl singing a Visayan song with David DeMuzio, who is keen on promoting Visayan Songs. I must say that they are both fluent in Visayan as they flawlessly interpreted the song in unmistakable Visayan dialect. Watch their beautiful rendition here.


        I wanted to include the translation to the song so you guys can understand why they felt so much emotion while singing this song even though its foreign to them. Here are the lyrics:
English Translation by Sophia Lorene: 
I.
Forgetting you is not easy.
Until now I'm still waiting
For our yesterday to come back
Even if you've already forgotten me.

Chorus:
Even if you have someone else now
You're still the one I love
Even if I'll only get hurt
As long as you're happy, I'll accept everything

II.
I see your situation now
It's really different when you were with me
In his side you're so happy
And here I am hoping for you to come back

Bridge:
Until now I'm still hoping
That time will come that you'll come back

        The third thing I wanted to share with you guys is the fact that Davao City ranked Fourth safest among 349 cities with Abu Dhabi ranking first. This is huge relief even as the threat to terrorist attacks are being monitored by the Authorities. Mayor Duterte also said in a statement yesterday, that despite cancellations of bookings by tourists attending the Kadayawan Festival due to safety reasons, he says the Festival will be held with or without tourists as the festival was created to showcase and honor the 10 Tribes in Davao City and not for anything else. I will do my very best to capture some of the action this weekend despite my allergies. ( crossing my fingers, now)
The local daily headline yesterday, August 13, 2013
   
Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did. Today we will be making a dessert which is best served cold. Maja Blanca. Its a coconut custard with sweet corn kernels, cooked in a pan and allowed to cool into solid form in a mold, sliced and served as is.

Let's make Maja Blanca!
Maja Blanca with toasted coconut, pics courtesy of  Google

INGREDIENTS:

4 c. coconut milk
3/4 c cornstarch
1 14 oz Condensed milk
3/4 c. fresh milk
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 15 oz. can sweet corn kernels
5 T. toasted, grated coconut or chopped peanuts ( topping )
Ingredients

PROCEDURE:

1. Pour coconut milk into a pot and bring to a boil.

2. Add sugar, condensed milk and sweet corn and simmer 8 minutes.
simmering

3. Combine fresh milk and cornstarch. Pour into the pot and stir to mix. Cook until thickened and the mixture heavily coats the spoon or laddle and separates from the pan. Quickly tansfer to a buttered metal or glass mould and level the top. Sprinkle with toasted coconut or chopped peanuts and allow to set. Refrigerate for faster setting.
Setting the Maja


4. Slice and serve on individual plates. Here are two pics using different toppings:
Maja topped with chopped peanuts over banana leaf

Maja topped with toasted coconut served on banana leaf
Note: Refrigerate leftovers in a covered plastic container.

No comments:

Post a Comment