Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Max's Fried Chicken

        I was so preoccupied with guests coming over today that I wasn't able to post about my Molo Soup. Today, June 25th, happened to be my eldest daughter's 18th birthday. 

        In May of this year, Erika came to me saying she doesn't really need to have a big party for her 18th birthday. Surprised, I asked what's going on, and she said sheepishly that she still felt immature, that a coming-of-age-party will only force her to be someone she is not ready to become yet. And then she says, " can we have it next year, na lang? So I asked her, "you mean you're going to make 19 the new 18? "Pretty much!"was the quick answer. And so that settled the issue.

        Mother and daughter decided we were going to plan for that belated coming out party. She was to take her skin and hair to the next level, and I was going to make sure her teeth will be all ready for the event next year. ( Those three aspects need work)

        But still her friends from college will want to come over and raid the kitchen, so I  asked who was coming, and how many they were. I opted not to post a new recipe last night and planned for tonight's dinner instead.

        I decided on Beef Caldereta, Max's Fried Chicken, Bam-I, and Lumpia Shanghai with rice for the meal and Buko Pandan for the drinks and Maja Blanca for dessert.

        I first tried making Max's Fried Chicken for Christmas dinner last year. Because the kids and my two nephews are Fried Chicken lovers, there must always be the likeness of fried chicken at any special occasion. 
my Max's Fried Chicken

        I like this recipe because it's so simple to make and delivers great results every time. The chicken is always licked to the bone, and there are no leftovers. 

        Max's Restaurant is an iconic landmark in the Philippine Foodscape. Beginning in 1945, after World War 11 when Maximo Gimenez, a Stanford -educated Filipino teacher was befriended by American soldiers.

        The soldiers went over to his house often for a drink or two. Soon after, they started paying for their drinks and the chicken and steak being served to them. Maximo opened his cafe, and not too long after, the Filipino public came to know about the tender, juicy and tasty chicken, hence Max's Restaurant was born.

        With branches all over the country and abroad, Max's Fried Chicken has won over fans from all over.

        As I searched the internet for international branches; I found ones in California, Canada, Hawaii, Nevada and New Jersey in the US and United Arab Emirates in the Middle East. Luckily, we can now recreate the greaseless, crispy, juicy taste right at home.

INGREDIENTS:
3 simple ingredients

1 Spring chicken
1/4 cup  chopped cilantro or parsley ( kinchay)
6 pcs bay leaves
4 cups water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
oil for deep frying
1 or 2 camote (sweet potatoes), peeled and sliced into wedges

PROCEDURE:

1. Boil 4 cups water in a steamer, add the cilantro and bay leaves. Place cleaned whole chicken on steamer plate and steam 45 minutes.
After steaming

2. Remove from steamer and let cool and allow to drip on a rack placed over a plate.

3. Mix salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub all over, inside and outside the steamed chicken.

4. Heat oi until hot enough. Deep fry 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat and drain excess oil. Fry camote wedges, Drain excess oil with paper towels.
one side done

browning some more

5. Plate the whole fried chicken with the camote fries and banana catsup for a truly authentic Max's experience.
yum, yum, yum!

tasty, juicy and crispy and greaseless!


NOTE: The only way to eat this of course, is with your hands, and with rice. Authentic Filipino Fried Chicken recipe born after the war and loved by many. I hope you try this one. This is a sure winner!

I served the Max's Fried Chicken with Lumpia Shanghai cut into 4's for  crisper results. And I made two because obviously one would not be enough.  

Am able to post now as the guests have left, no more Caldereta or Max's Fried Chicken. Told you, no leftovers! Much love...and thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment